Channel 4 Website
To promote, support and deliver effective communications throughout Channel 4
• Delivering effective internal communications to keep all staff involved, aware and participating in the Channel’s development
• Maintenance of the C4 intranet, including design, content preparation and implementation of changes as appropriate
• Coordination and implementation of staff events e.g. all-staff briefings, lunchtime business presentations, social events (approximately 25-30 p.a.)
• Distribution of internal news, updates and formal communications e.g. weekly news updates from Chief Executive, key internal appointments and major events. Includes liaison with Press Department to coordinate announcements where appropriate
• Provide support to all business areas in ensuring that appropriate internal communications are issued, over an appropriate period of time, that they are clear, timely and fit with the C4 brand and culture e.g. informing staff of launch of new channels, including what’s happening, why, when (average 4-5 ‘campaigns’ at any time)
Technical & Professional Skills
• Maintains awareness of industry and other trends that are relevant to C4, in order to design and communicate appropriate messages to keep staff informed
• The job holder is required to be a skilled communicator, able to share their skill and experience with others (including senior managers) in order to support, guide and influence them in delivering clear and effective messages across the business
• Requires a broad knowledge of C4’s business, vision, strategic direction, and objectives in order to understand the purpose and implications of messages to be communicated (in particular from Senior Managers), and to provide advice and input as to the wording e.g. writing communications from the Chief Executive
• In conjunction with HRD, responsible for delivering internal communications and C4’s brand in a way that protects and enhances the Channel’s image e.g. if internal communications are not effective they can affect the functioning of the business areas, confuse rather than clarify direction and vision and negatively affect the organisation’s culture away from trust and openness
• Job holder is expected to work with a high degree of autonomy , managing their own work and priorities, referring upwards for strategic input, advice and discussion
• Takes responsibility for style and accuracy of formal internal communications, including preparation of Chief Executive and Board communications to all staff. Impact of getting this wrong would be internal rather than external, but could significantly damage the credibility of the named sender
• The job holder is required at times to influence and guide senior managers in terms of communication style, timings and method, so that communications and messages are consistent, clear and understood. These messages may be similar/regular in content, or may be business critical, unusual or highly specific e.g. communicating to staff about the move of Film4 to free-to-view
• Manages communications projects e.g. launch of intranet – coordinating resources from across the business as appropriate and controlling timelines and budgets
• Coordinates and supervises staff feedback forums
• Manages Internal Communications budget on a day-to-day basis e.g. approving invoices, referring to manager for formal sign-off
• Job holder requires a high level of credibility within the organisation, in order to successfully influence senior managers through the provision of advice and suggestions on the style, tone, timings and method of communications
• Encourages staff throughout the business to communicate effectively, to share information, use the intranet, to be involved in communication exercises e.g. briefings, socials, and to practice effective communication. Effectiveness of this can be measured by feedback requests on the intranet, the annual staff survey and general ad-hoc feedback
• Liaises with internal PR and creative teams to ensure a coordinated approach and appropriate, compelling messages in order to maintain the C4 brand
• Maintains effective contacts across the business and at all levels to ensure awareness of how messages are being received and interpreted – liaise with appropriate managers (often senior/Board level) to prepare and deliver additional communication if required
• The job holder is required at times to use their business and communications experience and knowledge to handle the different approaches and expectations of others and to negotiate a consensus solution to messages and format of internal communications
• Requires a high level of understanding of the business, its marketplace, strategy , activities, brand and culture in order to analyse and interpret the need and method for internal communication, to gather and coordinate the relevant information, and to ensure that they deliver appropriate and accurate messages that support the C4 culture and brand, inform and where appropriate motivate staff
• When actioning the regular tasks within the role e.g. writing communications, updating the intranet, the job holder is expected to apply a creative approach that ensures messages are compelling both in terms of their content and their delivery in order to encourage staff read and understand them e.g. to use the intranet as a valuable tool for finding out information
Business Impact/Strategic Perspective
• The job holder has a direct influence on the organisation’s culture and internal reputation e.g. needs to consider the impact, cultural implications and way in which a message is likely to be interpreted and viewed when preparing, designing or advising on communications
• Plans broad communications projects, direction and influence over approximately a two year period e.g. development and launch of internet. Manages specific project plans within shorter timescales
Essential Skills & Experience
• Significant experience of operating in an Internal Communications capacity.
• Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
• Highly organised with a proven track record of overseeing complex projects and delivering to tight deadlines
• Demonstrable ability to build effective relationships across the organisation at all levels.
• Good at planning, prioritising and delivering against set deadlines.
• Proven experience of managing an intranet site, including competence with both Dreamweaver software and content management systems.
• Competence with Photoshop software is also required